You can read borrowed Kindle books on any generation Kindle device or all free Kindle apps, as well as in your web browser with Kindle Cloud Reader. An active Wi-Fi connection is required for wireless delivery to a Kindle device. Library books will not be delivered via your Kindle's 3G connection. If you are trying to send a library book to a Kindle device and you have 3G, but not an active Wi-Fi connection, you can load your library book via USB instead. More information about USB transfers can be found on Amazon.com.
What you will need:
1. From a computer with an Internet connection, go to the OverDrive Home Page and locate an e-Book that you’d like to check out. Be sure that the e-Book is available as a Kindle Book, not just an Adobe EPUB e-Book.
2. Click ADD TO CART (if the item is already checked out, you will see the optioin to PLACE A HOLD). From the “My Cart” screen, choose PROCEED TO CHECKOUT.
3. For the username enter the barcode your Franklin County Law Library Card number (call the circulation desk for your number 614-525-4971).
4. On the "Check Out" page, click CONFIRM CHECK OUT.
5. Click GET FOR KINDLE, which will take you to the Amazon.com website.
6. When the Amazon.com page opens with your book title, click on the GET LIBRARY BOOK button on the right-hand side of the screen.
7. Enter your Amazon.com username and password, then sign in.
8. Select the device your device from the "Deliver to:" dropdown menu and click CONTINUE.
9. You should receive a confirmation saying that they e-Book has been delivered to your Kindle.
10. To complete the process of downloading, turn on your Kindle and connect to a wireless network.
11. On the Kindle, choose the MENU button and select "Sync & Check for Items" to download the e-Book.
12. Depending on your version of Kindle, the title will appear on the Home screen under titles, or it may appear in the "Archived Items" folder.
1. If you would like to return your e-Book early, you need to log into your Amazon.com account and then go to the “Manage Your Kindle” section of your account.
2. You will see a list of all Kindle e-Books purchased along with e-Books you checked out from the library. Click on the “Actions” button to the far-right of the title you wish to return.
3. Choose RETURN THIS BOOK to check it in.
Required for all books published by Penguin due to publisher restrictions and for Kindles that do not support Wi-Fi
After completing steps 1 through 7 from the right:
1. Plug your Kindle's USB cord into the computer.
2. Click on “Download Now” or "Get library book."
3. You will see a message that says, "Thanks, xxx. You should be prompted to open the file or save immediately." Follow the prompts.
4. Choose “Save As.” On your computer, go to “(My) Computer” and find and open the Kindle. Select the “Documents” folder on your Kindle. Click “Save.”
5. Eject the Kindle from your computer.
6. The title should appear on the Home screen of your Kindle.
You must first change the setting to allow installations from unknown sources:
Then . . .