Skip to Main Content

Ohio Tax Liens: Satisfying Tax Liens in Franklin County

Scope of Page

This page addresses how to clear a tax/judgment lien from your record in Franklin County Common Pleas Court. For the process in other County Common Pleas courts, please call the Clerk of Court of that county. There is a list of Clerks of Court phone numbers in the links section of this page.

Books at the Franklin County Law LIbrary

Attorneys with a Franklin County Law Library card may check out these books. Other members of the public may use them in the Franklin County Law Library.

Instructions for Satisfying Tax Liens in Franklin County

The existence of Ohio tax liens (also called judgment liens) can come as a surprise. Unless a taxpayer responds to the initial 60-day notice letter, informing him or her that taxes are past due, the Ohio Department of Taxation will contact the Attorney General’s Office, who will file a certification of the tax assessment with the Clerk of the Common Pleas Court where the taxpayer resides. The Clerk of Common Pleas Court will enter a judgment against the taxpayer. It is very common for taxpayers to first become aware of an Ohio tax lien/judgment when trying to sell, buy or refinance a residence, or when conducting other financial activity requiring a credit check.

When you become aware that a tax lien has been filed against you, take the following steps:

1) Contact the Ohio Attorney General’s office at 614-466-4986 to see how much you owe. The Common Pleas Court does not collect the tax. It must be paid to the State of Ohio, usually through the Attorney General's office.

2) It is a good idea to consult with an attorney. 

3) Arrange a payment plan with the Attorney General's office.

4) The Attorney General's office will send you a notice of satisfaction of lien when you have completed your payments.

5) Call the Franklin County Common Pleas Clerk of Courts General Division at 614-525-3621 to let them know that you have paid off the tax lien.  Ask the clerk how much additional money you owe to the court in additional court costs and fees.

4) Pay the court costs in cash, certified check or money order (made payable to the “Franklin County Clerk of Courts”) in person, or by mail, at the following address:

Franklin County Clerk of Courts
345 S. High St.
1st Floor
Columbus, OH 43215

Include a copy of the notice of satisfaction with your payment. If you are mailing it, include a self-addressed stamped envelope for a receipt.

5) Verify with the Clerk of Courts that your case file has been modified to reflect that the judgment lien has been satisfied.

6) Notify the three National credit agencies so that they may begin the process of clearing any negative marks on your credit report.  The numbers and addresses of those agencies are listed in the links section of this guide.

If you are an attorney filing on behalf of a client, please call the General Division at 614-525-3621 to determine whether electronic filing is applicable in your case.