Skip to Main Content

Child Welfare Law in Ohio: Permanent Custody/ Termination of Parental Rights


Permanent custody vests the agency with all parental rights. The parents' parental rights are terminated. The agency may either request permanent custody as part of the initial disposition, or it may first obtain temporary custody or a PPLA and thereafter file a motion for permanent custody. Permanent custody will only be granted at the initial disposition if the agency can show that the child cannot be placed with a parent within a reasonable time, or should not be placed with a parent.

Complaint for Permanent Custody at Initial Disposition

Motion for Permanent Custody

Ohio Rules of Court